Summer in the Carolinas can be sweltering! With high heat and sticky humidity, many of our summer Yoga On Tap classes become impromptu ‘hot yoga’ classes.
There’s nothing better than a hot summer afternoon, ice cold beer, and yoga!
That got us thinking – what are the benefits of hot yoga?
What Is Hot Yoga?
Before we talk about benefits, let’s quickly define what hot yoga is and isn’t (it’s pretty straight forward). Hot yoga is (you guessed it) yoga that’s performed at elevated temperatures and humidity. Depending on your studio, temperature and humidity levels will vary.
It was created by Bikram Choudhury. Bikram developed a specific style of hot yoga called Bikram Yoga that has strict guidelines for heat and humidity paired with a specific series of 26 postures. This is where we need to make a distinction. Bikram Yoga is hot yoga but hot yoga is not Bikram Yoga.
There you have it!
The Benefits of Hot Yoga
There are a multitude of benefits to hot yoga but here are some of our favorites!
1. Detoxification – When it’s hot, you sweat. And when you sweat you expel toxins from your largest organ (you skin). Toxins = Bad.
2. Stress Relief – You’ll leave your hot yoga class with a sense of renewal and energy!
3. Focus Your Mind – A hot environment requires concentration and a disciplined and focused mind.
4. Flexibility – The heat from a hot yoga class will limber your soft tissue structures allowing for deeper stretches.
5. Burn More Calories – heat causes increased heart rate which leads to you burning more calories.
Although there are many benefits to hot yoga, be sure to take the proper precautions. Know your limits and drink plenty of water. If you can do that, you’ll be set for an amazing hot yoga experience!